Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) is a system of methods that dates more than three thousand years.
It consists of
- Herbology (herb formulas)
- Acupuncture (needle therapy)
- Moxibustion (heat therapy)
- TuiNa (massage, acupressure and body manipulations)
- Cupping (vacuum therapy)
- Gua Sha (scraping of the skin)
- Food cures (food recipes adapted for various conditions)
- Aromatherapy (special essential oil formulas and prescriptions)
- Stone therapy (crystal therapy)
- BaZi and Feng Shui (astrology, medicine for the home, relationships and workplace)
- Physical exercises that cultivate the body (QiGong, TaiChi, NeiGong, etc)
- Mental practices that nourish the soul (mindfulness, meditation, calligraphy, painting, music, etc)
Did you know?
The fundamental book of TCM dates back to the third century B.C., entitled The Yellow Emperor’s Classic of Internal Medicine and it is still in use today.
Although known as one of the most gruesome rulers and conquerors in the entire history, when Genghis Khan conquered China, he allowed all the local tradition to continue and flourish, including what we know today as Traditional Chinese Medicine. In fact, his grandson, Kublai Khan, founded the Yuan dynasty and promoted the development of TCM acupuncture and literacy, thus enabling this form of medicine to travel worldwide.
- Is has definitely passed the test of time. The fundamental book is still in use today and it is part of every practitioner’s reading list. In fact, whenever a practitioner is in doubt, they will go back to that book for clarification.
- There are only a few truly 100% humanistic approaches when it comes to medicine and healing, and Chinese Medicine is one of them. It analyses the entire human being, from conception to present stage, looking at the constitutional, physical, mental and emotional aspects of their lives, and the environment in which they live.
- The treatment is 100% holistic. Depending on the nature of the illness, the treatment protocol may contain a combination of herbs, needles, physical manipulation and exercise, mind cultivation, changes in the diet and the environment.
- The remedies are based on thousands of years of clinical practice on countless patients.
- The approaches have long lasting effects and less, if any, side effects.
Promotes good quality sleep
Strengthens immune system
What Is Included In A Session
The first session will assess the overall health and put an initial diagnostic, based on the signs and symptoms. The practitioner will present all the available options best suited to provide the maximum therapeutic effect. Then the person receives their first treatment session.
The following sessions will start by re-assessing the initial diagnostic and checking if there are any changes. Then the practitioner will administer the treatment accordingly.
How many sessions do I need?
This is one of the most frequent questions asked.
As a humanistic and holistic form of medicine, TCM treats the person suffering from the illness and not the illness alone, separated from the person. This means that two people suffer from the same disease but the treatment is different and the number of sessions might also be different. TCM says “same disease, different treatment, same treatment, different disease”.
Also, many times, the person being treated has to make changes in their diet and lifestyle in order to obtain optimal results. Without these changes, the number of session could increase or the practitioner could decide to stop the treatment completely before the recommended number of sessions.
The data below has been collected from more than 180 acupuncture practitioners and represents an average number of sessions for significant improvement to be noticed for various signs and symptoms. The sessions must be done every 3 days for acute physical symptoms and once a week for the rest of the complaints.
Cautions & Contraindications...
The Chinese medicine treatments are holistic type of treatments intended to stimulate the natural healing mechanisms of the body and they are by no means a substitute for medical treatment or medication prescribed by GPs, consultants, medical staff or mental health specialists.
The practitioner will decide whether you should receive TCM treatment or not and which therapy works best for your condition.
Special precautions are always taken with pregnant women or women who are trying to conceive, whether naturally, following other forms of holistic therapies, or undergoing medical treatment and/or IVF.
Other special precautions are taken in a number of illnesses and conditions, and it is always best to contact the TCM practitioner beforehand to talk about whether TCM is appropriate or not.
Treatment will be denied to people who are
- under the influence of alcohol, sleep-inducing drugs or narcotics
- very ill
- with high fever
- very tired
- very hungry
- very full (have just eaten a large meal)
Are there any side effects?
Possible side effects and reactions to TCM treatments provided by Daciana Indolean.
- Drowsiness, light headedness or fainting may occur after a treatment session in a small number of cases, especially during the first few sessions of the treatment protocols, as the body adjusts to the healing process and the release of blocked energy. You are advised not to drive immediately after such a session
- You most likely will experience a healing crisis during the treatment, usually after a few sessions. This may be in the form of physical symptoms getting worse or supressed emotions surfacing even if the treatment is not administered specifically for mental or emotional disorders
- Acupuncture is generally considered very safe, with very rare serious side effects (some statistics quote 1 in 10.000 cases). Superficial bleeding and bruising can occur during an acupuncture session in a very few number of cases
- Tuina is a medical massage, stretching and acupressure. The form used by the practitioner Daciana Indolean does not use any spinal or joint manipulation (also known as “high velocity thrusts”). You may feel rough for a few days after a Tuina session, but then the physical symptoms will begin to improve.
- Cupping therapy uses vacuum suction on skin areas to remove toxins and relax muscles and tendons and it will leave marks on the skin that are specific for this type of therapy. The marks will disappear in a few days (approx. 10 days for first sessions) after the treatment and they do not pose a threat to the health
- Moxibustion therapy uses heat generated by the burning of mugwort herb in the close vicinity of the skin in order to warm tissues and joints, induce a state of wellbeing and to stimulate the immune system. It can cause the skin to become red (similar to mild or medium sunburn) and in some cases minor blisters can appear, depending on the skin sensitivity to heat. These are side effects that will disappear in a few days and do not pose a threat to health
- Oil therapy uses essential oil blends especially formulated for various health conditions combined with acupressure. The blends are designed for external use only and may cause local skin reactions that resemble allergic reactions or rashes in some cases
What should I wear?
It is recommended that you wear loose, comfortable clothes. It is important to allow the blood to flow unrestrained by tight fitting clothes during the sessions. Sometimes oils are used in connection to your treatments and, while most of the times they do not stain, please make sure you do not wear your best Sunday clothes when coming for a TCM treatment.
Do you suffer from stress, high blood pressure, exhaustion, muscle tension, back pain, and poor sleep?
These are just a few of the top concerns expressed by many in modern society, and because of our stressful and hectic lifestyles, it is easy to look at these problems as being normal, or acceptable. Sound familiar?
Perhaps, arthritis, fibromyalgia, or depression has negatively affected your quality of life? Are you in general poor health or simply want to improve your wellness? What if there was a simple, drug and side effect free therapy that helps with the symptoms of many conditions and greatly improves your overall wellbeing?
There is! It’s called Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM)
Improve your physical health, boost your mental and emotional wellness, and discover traditional chinese medicine as an alternative form of medicine and complementary therapy.
While massage is well known to be relaxing, this is far from the only health benefit it offers. A study released in 2012 showed massage to reduce levels of the stress hormone cortisol, which helps lower blood pressure, promotes heart health, boosts mood, and improves emotional health.
Massage also increases production of "feel good" neurotransmitters like serotonin and dopamine, both of which support positive mood, sound emotional health, and lower risks for depression.
Massage has a positive effect on delta brain waves that are related to a healthy sleep process and a session as short as 15 to 30 minutes has numerous benefits for the mind, body, and spirit.
From common ailments like headaches and back pain to more serious health conditions like cancer, arthritis, Parkinson’s disease and an unhealthy heart, massage therapy can offer benefits. And, most important, massage therapy is an effective preventive measure that will boost the overall health and wellness of your mind, body, and spirit.
1Massage Therapy: lowers stress and improves wellbeing.
2Massage Therapy: helps physical and mental health conditions.
3Massage Therapy: can help pain related medical conditions.
See what our clients have to say:
"A wonderful massage with Amanda. She senses just where you need it most. You enter the room tense and stiff and walk out on a cloud. All knots and tension gone. Thank you so much for my blissful treatment xxxx"
Massage Therapy Client
"Had a full body massage today with Amanda it was amazing she made me feel really comfortable and at ease the massage is the best I've ever had thanks Amanda x"
Massage Therapy Client
Do Not Neglect Yourself, Get Started Today!
Not only will you feel fantastic but massage therapy can really help with the symptoms associated with various medical conditions you might have.
At the very least, massage therapy will greatly support the overall wellness of your mind, body and spirit.
FREE 30 minute Consultation!
We offer a free, 30-minute no obligation consultation to review your situation and give you advice on how best to proceed in order to achieve optimum health and well-being.
"Fantastic back and shoulder massage..."
"Fantastic back and shoulder massage, really professional and knowledgeable. Would definitely recommend to anyone thinking of trying it out. Felt brilliant after, I was so relaxed and will be booking again."
Massage Therapy Client
"Wonderful back, shoulder and neck massage..."
"I had a wonderful back, shoulder and neck massage today. I arrived feeling stressed and uptight and left feeling so relaxed. Thank you Jo X"
Massage Therapy Client
Make Massage Therapy a Part of Your Regular Health and Wellness Routine!
Our Services incorporate a wide variety of massage therapy types including Swedish Massage, Deep Tissue Massage, Salt Stone Therapy Massage, Holistic Massage, Aromatherapy, Reflexology, Tui Na and Indian Head Massage to enable you to stay healthy and stress free.
You now have the opportunity to experience massage therapy and see how it can benefit your health for yourself.
They all offer varying benefits and are used to address different conditions or issues. The physical benefits from massage can help the symptoms from pain relief, circulation issues, posture misalignment, fibromyalgia, injuries, muscle tension, arthritis, chronic pain management, back pain, and more. However, massage goes beyond physical benefits as it can help you achieve maximum mental well-being.
Book Your Free 30 Minute Consultation!
If you aren't sure what type of massage therapy or session duration is best for your situation book your FREE 30 minute consultation.
"The way to health is to have an aromatic bath and a scented massage every day..”
P.S.: Fun fact, Julius Caesar (c. 100 to 44 BC) used massage to help his epilepsy!